There are many factors that play into the art of candle magic. As we know any type of magic that is performed will return to you three fold, whether it be positive or negative. Always keep the Wiccan Rede “An harm to none do what thou wilt” in mind when considering your work. Always keep in mind that magic effect’s the entire world around you. Be very careful what you ask for, for it may well come true. The wording in any type of magic must not be taken lightly, be very careful, concise , and precise, make sure you have covered all possible bases.
Keep in mind that some candle magic has to be repeated over a period of days. Therefore, you will want to place them in an area that will not be disturbed. Do not choose a place where there is a tv, radio noise or disturbances of any kind. Keep in mind to not put candles near curtains and such, as you would not want to burn your house down. Candle magic should always be performed in a low traffic area. That is why a bedroom is really nice for such work.
Candle magick is probably one of the simplest forms of magick to get started with. You need nothing but the candle and fire to light it with. Candle magick can also be seen to be complete within itself, as the body of the candle is made up from the elements of Earth, Air and Water. To complete you need fire and spirit. Fire is easy, and Spirit can be represented by the wick of the candle, as the wick is where the potential of the candle lies and will be unfolded with. With the candle lit, the flame of your intent will burn.
CANDLE MAGIC have been used for centuries for magick and ritual. We light candles at holidays, a practice that takes place in many different religions, cultures and traditions. Candles invoke the divine, they create a sense of ceremony and they are facinating to look at. Candles can be purchased anywhere, by anyone without anyone blinking an eye or suspecting magick and witchcraft!
Through their ability to help you to focus on your wishes they make your heart’s desire come true. Try it next time you want to make something happen in your life! Below is a few simple guidelines for using candles in magick!
Unwittingly you probably performed your first act of Candle Magick when you where very young on your birthday, blowing out the candles on your cake and making a wish!
This tradition is based on the three principals of magick; being concentration, will power and visualization. You have to concentrate to blow the candles out, wish and see your dream coming true – absolute magick!
Important pointers on choosing a candle:
- Choose a plain candle, of uniform shape. Having unusual or large candles can be distracting and is therefore not suitable for magickal use.
- Candles used for magick should always be Virgin (unused) at the start of the ritual. Using secondhand candles or other materials in magick can have disastrous effects as they might have picked up vibrations from previous use, even if it was just on a dinner table!
- It is a very good idea to make your own candles if they are for magickal use. It will increase the magickal potency of the candle many times.
- It is very easy to make your own candles, simply heat the wax until liquid and pour it into a mould which is treaded with a wick. The wax should now be left to cool, after which the mould can be removed. Oils and colours can be added to the Wax for extra effects.
- Charge your candle before using it in ritual. This can be done by annointing it with oils associated with the ritual or magick you intend on performing, or by simply touching it and charging it with your own energy.
- Whilst charging the candle, visualixe the North and South Poles – rub the oil into the candle starting at either the North or South end and always brush in the same direction.
- The oils used in the annointing of your candle should where possible always be natural fragrances.
- Try to color the candles according the the color associations below.