Prior to performing any spell, the candle should be anointed. This is typically done with a small amount of natural oil such as grapeseed, virgin olive, cinnamon, almond or jojoba oil. Some spells such as blessing or protection spells may call for blessing, holy or protection oil. Rubbing oil on the candle with your fingertips infuses the candle with your energy and intention. The oil should be rubbed on the outside of the candle in one of two ways:
- Start at the top of the candle and rub the oil downward toward the middle. Next, rub oil from the base of the candle toward the middle where the first coat ended.
- Start in the middle of the candle and rub oil toward the top and then toward the base.
Once your candles have been anointed, you can perform one of the following spells. Just remember to use a new candle for each spell.
If you want to send out good fortune, good luck or good health to a loved one, use a white candle to perform a blessing spell for that person.
- Write down a blessing on paper, focusing on the particular area you want to help your loved one with, such as “May my best friend Dawn be blessed with a child of her own. Please give her the gift of new life.”
- Carve the name of the person into the candle.
- Anoint the candle with blessing oil or holy oil.
- Light the candle and recite the blessing. Focus your intent on the words you have written.
- Pinch out or snuff the candle flame.
- Repeat the spell for seven days or longer if desired. Re-anoint the candle once a week.
Candles have been used for centuries in pagan and Wiccan spells and rituals. It is believed that candles can absorb energy and then release that energy when burned. The color of the candle is another important factor, as each color contains specific energy and vibrations inherent to that color, which helps focus the energy of the spell toward a particular desired outcome.
Nothing beats the power of candle spells and most people love to work with the flickering flame of a candle when they’re doing a spell or ritual.
I’m putting together a larger collection of just candle spells here, and more are going to be added in the next few days to fill this out.
And when you are starting off with some candle spells, you should know a thing or two about choosing the right spell candles too. Sure, candles are pretty much all the same but a few choices can make your spells work better for you in the long run.